Tuesday, January 12, 2010

One Morning In Maine Laboratory...

This piece has been in the works for several months. Inspiration? Simple, I love Maine.


I have been walking on the Rocky Coast for more than 20 years. I was lucky enough to move here in 2001. What a truly beautiful spot, this Maine coastline. On my walks I find funny and interesting things like Heart Rocks, Egg Rocks, Moss and Seaweed, Junky Bottles, Feathers, Sea Glass, Sand Dollars, Urchins, Clam and Mussel Shells and funky pieces of Wire. Most of the pieces in this box I have had stashed away for many years. I found this old junky brown 4' box at a Junk Store and knew that it was indeed the box for my Maine Laboratory. I painted the box to look as if it was also found on the shore, added a glass front and pulled the whole piece together with wire and string. That is it. One of my favorite moments of this piece is the magnifying glass section. It allows one to see up-close a fun Mussel/Barnacle sculpture Neil gave to me last September when we had the magical "Full Moon Week in Harpswell." This piece measures 4'x 15".
CLICK ON ARROW BELOW TO VIEW SLIDESHOW

No comments: