Monday, April 3, 2017

kdb Artist WEBSITE...

To learn the latest news and view kdb Encaustic Art, log onto my website. www.kdbartist.com. I have both Encaustic and Acrylic Art featured on this site.
In my studio I am now offering Encaustic one on one workshops.
You can also like my Facebook Page
kdb-Art


 Have you been wondering about the medium of Encaustic?
Encaustic Painting is a medium that is 4000 years old. It is true alchemy. Bees Wax mixed with Damar Resin+ Pigments, heated to 200 degrees, making it liquid. Many layers of heated encaustic medium and pigments are applied with a natural bristle brush, it is then fused with a heat gun, painting layer upon layer until the piece is finished. All of my work is done on Cradled Birch Board as Encaustic needs a firm, non-bendable substrate or the wax will crack. Some pieces are carved right into the wax creating Encaustic Etchings.

Nature is my Muse and molten Bees Wax is one of my favorite mediums.
I became interested in Encaustic painting in 2008. I studied for several years and started Encaustic Painting in 2010. I am in love with this very warm, medium that smells like honey. It is always a joy to be in my Encaustic Studio.
 Over the years I have discovered many things about painting with hot wax. Layers and layers of Encaustic medium and pigments, fused one on top of the next to create a depth that I have not found in other mediums. I like the mysterious look of graphite particles suspended in clear medium layered over a creamy or stark white background. I have also played and worked with the melding of two mediums, embedding photographs or doing photo transfers with my images. The effect is stunning and always a bit of a surprise, depending on the image.

I have also created very large pieces, 4ftx2ft, which is 8 sq. ft. of wax.Etching into the somewhat cooled wax is something I really love. I use a fine needle like tool to scratch onto the surface of the wax. Sometimes I then add Oil Pastel into the crevices and also onto the surface to create the tight scenes of birds, bees, trees and other inspirations from the natural world.

I have been studying, creating and showing my Encaustic Artwork for almost a decade here in Maine. kdb - Maine Encaustic Artist.
Email me or give me a call or text at 207-653-9334 to book your lesson!





No comments: